Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Week 12

I’m late again. So here I am writing up my Week 12 entry in Week 13. It was another busy week anyway and I’m glad it’s over! Assignments are finally all done! Now it’s time to focus on exams~ Which was exactly what I was trying to study for just now but got distracted and staring working on this blog instead hehe! Hmm.. my last blog entry was also a result of being detracted from work wasn’t it..? Oh wow, I get distracted way too easily.

Anyways, moving on to Week 12’s lecture.

The lecture was entitled Design: System Interfaces. This basically talked about how user interfaces have to reflect the structure or and database designs implemented within the system. This requires a thorough understanding of the inputs, outputs and data (or types of data) stored within the system. The diagrams created earlier such as the structure charts and sequence diagram can also be a useful tool in identifying these.

Another important consideration when designing the user interface is any help or customer support facilities. The system designer is not only responsible for creating the interface but also any sample reports and diagrams that the system may output. Integrity (among them input, database, output and fraud prevention techniques) and security (to limit and manage access roles, data security, digital signatures and certificates and ensuring secure transactions) controls should also be taken into consideration.

Multi-tier Applications looks at the presentation tier, business tier and data tier, the interfaces of which, should be designed separately yet complimentary to each other. The advantage of this multi-tiered approach is to reduce dependency among layers, thereby making it easier to make any changes.

Week 12’s tutorial.

We spent the class with Mr Yeap. Or rather, he spent it with us. He came in to discuss more on how to move from the analysis phase to the design phase. And to answer any questions we may have regarding Assignment 2 which, I’ll admit, (with all the other assignments also due on the same week) I had barely started on at that point.

And finally, Assignment 2. I managed to finish by Sunday, on the actual due date. Was SO happy to have completed it! Was SO relieved that assignments are all over! :D

1 comment: